History and Traditions

Byrchall High School is rich in history and was founded in 1588 by Sir Robert Byrchall with 12 children in one classroom. It was founded as Ashton Grammar School on land donated by wealthy local land owner William Gerrard. The original building in Seneley Green is now Garswood Library. In 1960, Lancashire Education Committee proposed to amalgamate the school with Upholland Grammar School when the school had around 450 boys and girls. The school was administered by Wigan from April 1974. By 1973 the school had 700 boys and girls and 800 by 1975. The school eventually became a comprehensive in 1978, when it was renamed 'The Byrchall High School'. Since then the school has continued to grow with new buildings being built to accomodate the increasing number of students and modern facilities to enhance the teaching of a range of subjects. In recent years the school has recieved many awards, accolades and accreditations - most notably becoming a Specialist Maths and Computing College in 2007.

School photo from Autumn 1981